Keep your home safe in style!
Gone are the days where smart security cameras were these unattractive, and menacing-looking devices. Today they not only offer the same protection such as night vision, motion detection and more, but they also come in all types of aesthetically pleasing shapes and colors.
Today we’ll be looking at Wyze Cam vs. Arlo Pro 2, and how they can benefit your home. Whether you prefer the budget-friendly Wyze Cam with its free storage or Arlo Pro 2 with its advanced video technology, the choice is yours.
So let’s get right to it and take a closer look at both models.
Feel free to use our navigation system below to skip to any part you prefer.
Wyze Cam vs. Arlo Pro 2 — Things in Common
- Live-View on Demand – Check in on your home from wherever you are via the live-view on-demand feature. Both Wyze Cam v2 and Arlo Pro 2 allow you to access live view footage from any iOS or Android device, and you can easily keep tabs on who is coming or going in 1080p resolution.
- Night View – And you can do the same at night time too! Both smart cameras offer clear you view at both day and night, so you won’t have to worry about getting out of bed every time you hear a noise in your home.
- Two-Way Audio – Communicate with the postman or your pets while you’re home or away using the two-way audio technology! This will allow you to not only see what’s going on but have your say too.
- Motion Detection – Motion detection technology adds another extra layer of security both inside and outside your home. Both Wyze Cam v2 and Arlo Pro 2 send you direct alerts to your phone whenever any suspicious activity is detected.
- Custom Motion Zones –We all have specific zones that we’d like to keep a closer eye on. And this is where custom motion zones come into play. You can set your smart camera to pay more attention to higher risk areas such as the garage, or even act as a baby monitor in the nursery.
- Person Detection – Your camera is also smart enough to differentiate between objects or people, so it can filter out the unnecessary motions. However, this feature can only be used with Arlo Pro 2 if you opt for a subscription plan which we will talk more about later.
- Zoom – Take a closer look at anyone or anything with the zoom technology. Both Wyze Cam v2 and Arlo Pro 2 support an 8x digital zoom feature, which can come in very handy when trying to identify who took the last cookie or even put a face to the package thief.
- Network – A strong network connection is necessary to keep your new smart camera running smoothly. As both Wyze Cam and Arlo Pro 2 support a 2.4GHz WiFi connection, make sure to double-check that before setting one up.
- Sound Detection – While love view on demand is a great feature that allows you to keep on top of what’s happening in and out of your home, it won’t be able to catch everything.
Having sound detection technology will ensure that the dangers are being monitored and reported, such as smoke alarms going off, or even glass breaking.
- Smart Home Integration – Having the freedom to integrate your smart camera with voice assistants such as Google Assistant, and Alexa is what makes your smart camera, truly smart.
You can use voice commands like “Alexa, show me the living room.” or “Google, turn off motion detection” to operate your camera. You can also view live footage on your Fire TV, to take advantage of a bigger screen.
What’s more, both Wyze Cam v2 and Arlo Pro 2 are also compatible with IFTTT.
IFTTT is special software that allows you to basically have your smart devices communicate with one another. So for example, you can set your smart lights to blink orange when motion is detected or log a motion straight to your Google Drive, and much more.
Wyze Cam vs. Arlo Pro 2 — Differences
- Difference #1: Power Options & Installation – In terms of power options, both Wyze Cam v2 and Arlo Pro 2 can be powered through AC. All you need to do is plug in your camera using the USB cable and an adapter, and you’re all set.
However, with Arlo Pro 2 you also have the option of relying on batteries too, which can be very handy during a power cut or if the outlet is difficult to reach. The batteries can also be recharged, and last up to 3-6 months.
If you want to both save on energy costs and protect the environment too, you can pair your Arlo Pro up with Arlo Solar Panel. A great option for outdoor cameras, which won’t cost you anything in the long run.
- Difference #2: Field of View – A powerful field of view is an important addition to any smart or not smart security camera. As it will determine how much footage you can actually view.
This is also where Arlo Pro 2 comes out ahead with its 130° vs. Wyze Cam’s 110°. While 20° may not seem like a lot, it can be what will help you to identify the package thief.
- Difference #3: FPS – The higher FPS you smart camera has, the smoother the video quality will be. While both models provide a video resolution of 1080p, Arlo Pro 2 impresses us with an FPS of 30. Pair that up with its HD capabilities, making its overall quality much higher than of Wyze Cam v2.
- Difference #4: Cloud Storage – While both smart cameras offer free cloud storage, Wyze Cam V2 beats Arlo by letting us take advantage of 14 days of free cloud storage while also providing us with all its features at no extra cost.
However, Arlo Pro only gives us 7 days free, and in order to take advantage of features such as person, vehicle, animal, and package detection, you’ll need to pay a monthly fee of $ 2.99 per camera. While the Arlo Smart plan does offer 30-day storage capacity, the fact that you have to pay anything to use its detection feature makes Wyze Cam V2 more attractive.
- Difference #5: Local Storage – Both cameras provide local storage option, however on their own terms. With the Wyze Cam you can install a microSD card into your smart camera and enjoy a 24/7 CVR (continuous video recording). It’s as simple as it can get. The camera will record non-stop to an SD card regardless of motion and sound.
The Arlo Pro 2. On the other hand, uses a USB for local storage that you plug in into the Arlo Pro 2 base station. Whenever there’s movement or sound detected, Arlo will save a video clip to both cloud and local storage. Here’s the tricky part, Arlo uses cloud storage by default, so you can’t just opt in for local storage without saving to the cloud first (unless there’s internet outage, in this case Arlo will automatically continue saving motion & sound-triggered video clips to a USB and sync them with the cloud once the Internet is back).
So, even though you can use a USB to save recordings locally, it’s really tied up to your cloud storage. If you’re looking to use a USB for 24/7 CVR with your Arlo Pro 2, you’ll need to subscribe for Arlo’s cloud CVR plan for $9.99 per month per camera. Otherwise, you’ll only get motion & sound triggered clips saved to a USB.
- Difference #6: Weather Resistance – Luckily Arlo Pro 2 is designed for both indoor as well as outdoor use. It’s weather resistant and can handle temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° F. While Wyze Cam can only be used indoors unless it’s paired up with a protective mount or skin.
Even then, it won’t be able to take temperatures higher or lower than 32°F to 104°F.
- Difference #7: Design – In terms of size, Wyze Cam V2 is a lot more discreet with its dimensions of 2.2” x 2” x 2”, compared to Arlo Pro 3.1” x 1.9” x 2.8”.
Though Arlo offers a more modern twist, with its aesthetically pleasing oval shape, while Wyze Cam is more traditional with its compact square design.
Wyze Cam vs. Arlo Pro 2 — Comparison Chart
|Wyze Cam||Arlo Pro 2|
|Live View on Demand||Yes||Yes|
|Record Live View||Yes||Yes|
|Field of View||110° diagonal||130° diagonal|
|Zoom||8x digital zoom||8x digital zoom|
|Custom Motion Zones||Yes||Yes|
|Person Recognition||Yes||Yes / with a
|Cloud Storage||14 days free||7-days free|
|Local Storage||Free CVR with microSD card||Duplicates your
cloud storage to a USB
|Operating Temperature||32°F to 104°F /
Indoor use only
|-4° to 113° F /
Indoor & Outdoor
|Dimensions||2.2” x 2” x 2”||3.1” x 1.9” x 2.8”|
Wyze Cam vs. Arlo Pro 2 — Accessories
Now that we have gone over both models, let’s check out some of the accessories you can include.
Change up your Arlo’s style with the set of 3 Skins in Black, that will not only look aesthetically pleasing but provide much-needed protection for your smart camera when it comes to rain and UV sun rays.
Also, makes sure to keep your batteries charged up, as well as have a few spares ready to go, with the Rechargeable Battery for Pro and Pro 2.
While for Wyze Cam v2, you can improve your maximize camera’s potential with continuous recording and time-lapse video, by adding a microSD storage card.
Additionally, it’s not a bad idea to include a TITLEprotective skin for your new smart camera, as not only will it protect it from rain or sun glare, but it will give it a more modern look too!
Wyze Cam vs. Arlo Pro 2 — Our Thoughts
In the end when it comes between Wyze Cam vs. Arlo Pro 2, the Arlo Pro 2 steps ahead with its advanced video technology, weather resistance, and increased field of view. It’s clear to us that Arlo Pro 2 is an impressive smart camera that won’t fail us.
However, that’s not to say Wyze Cam v2 doesn’t come with its own benefits. For its budget-friendly price, you still get a camera that offers great smart home integration, as well as a whopping 14-day free cloud storage and even more when paired with a microSD card (24/7 CVR).
So, if you want a more advanced camera, then Arlo Pro 2 is a good way to go.
Last update on 2021-03-05 at 04:19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API