Check-in on your pets with a smart camera!
Having a smart camera is a great step to take when it comes to your home security. It not only allows you to view live footage, but it comes with even more great features to take advantage of. For example, technology such as temperature control allowing you to not only see what’s going on but observe the temperature levels too! Additionally, with Blink XT2 you can set custom motion zones allowing you to monitor areas that need extra attention, such as the front door.
Today we’ll be looking at Blink XT vs. Blink XT2, and how they can benefit your home. Whether you’ll want to stick with your older Blink XT model, or you wish to upgrade to an even more advanced model that comes with even more features, including extended battery life.
So let’s get right to it, and check out both models below!
Feel free to skip any part by using our navigation system below.
Blink XT vs. XT2 — Things in Common
- Live-view on Demand – Both Blink XT and XT2, have been designed to offer you HD clarity of what’s going on outside and inside your home at all times. It’s also handy for when expecting guests, or when watching over your pets while you are away.
- Night Vision – And you can check in at night time too! No longer will you have to get out of bed to investigate any strange noises.
As you can simply whip out your smartphone even in the middle of the night, and confirm that it was in fact the neighborhood cat or a family member fixing a midnight snack.
- Motion Alerts – Receive alerts of any suspicious activity both inside and outside your home via motion alert feature. So you can have peace of mind while you’re home and away, as you’ll be notified if and when anything is detected.
- Field of View – A sufficient field of view is a crucial feature for all security cameras out there. As it determines how much of the property you can actually see at all times.
Blink XT and XT2 both have a viewing angle of 110 degrees. While it may be enough for indoor viewing, however, if you’re looking for a model with higher coverage, it’s worth looking into models like Nest Cam Outdoor.
- WiFi – Both smart cameras support a network connection of 2.4GHz, so it’s important that before you set up your camera you can check that the network is strong enough. Otherwise, it’s worth looking into a WiFi extender such as Netgear Orbi to increase its strength.
- App Support – You can install the Blink app on both iOS and Android devices. Through which, you can easily view, share and download motions clips, enable temperature alerts, access live-view and more. Unfortunately, there is no web app support for either model.
- Alexa – Luckily, both smart cameras can be integrated with Alexa. Meaning that you can easily access the live feed from your cameras by using your Echo Show, or even through the Fire TV device and simply say, “Alexa, show me the live feed of my Blink camera,” it’s as easy as that!
This is an efficient and hands-free way to use your smart cameras all over your home.
However, neither model is compatible with Google Home so if you prefer using Google Assistant, it might be better to look into another smart camera such as Arlo Ultra.
- IFTTT – Have even more fun with your smart camera with IFTTT. It’s a type of a free web-based service that can create chains of simple conditional statements, called applets. So you can simply put, have your smart devices “communicate” with each other.
Allowing you to do cool things like, disarming your Blink with Google Home, or receiving a text when motion is received by a specific Blink camera. And that’s only a small part of it, there is a lot more you can do when your Blink camera is integrated with IFTTT.
- Weather Resistant – Blink XT and XT2 outdoor cameras are not only waterproof but can handle extreme weather conditions ranging from -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)!
That’s quite a lot, and you won’t have to worry about their condition if you tend to reside in a colder climate.
- Free Cloud Storage – Both Blink XT and XT2 offer free cloud storage for up to 120 mins! This is more than enough for most, and you can also delete unimportant clips one at a time in order to free up space for future videos.
- Temperature Sensor – Another unique feature that both smart cameras have, is the temperature sensor.
This allows you to access information about the current temperature of each location where you have a camera set up. This is a great tool to have when keeping an eye on your home while away, so you can ensure that your pets aren’t too hot or cold.
Blink XT vs. XT2 — Differences
- Difference #1: Two-way Audio – This is one of the biggest differences between Blink XT vs. Blink XT2.
Two-way audio technology allows you to seamlessly communicate with anyone who is in the area, via camera! This is an especially useful feature for outdoor cameras as it allows you to do things like, instruct your postman in were to leave the package or yell at the culprit who tried to run off with it.
Two-way audio is what makes Blink XT2 a truly better model.
- Difference #2: Custom Motion Zones – Set your own custom motions to keep a closer eye on specific areas. Such as your front door, or the hallway in your home.
This feature is what makes Blink XT2 stand out from Blink XT, as it will add an extra layer of security for your home, at no extra cost.
- Difference #3: Extended Battery Life – Both smart cameras run on battery power, which makes them easy to set up, as well as take down after. This also ensures that your smart camera will continue to function, even during a power outage.
While both Blink XT and XT2 run on two AA lithium metal batteries, Blink XT2 boasts an extended battery life of up to two years! Saving you money and time in long-term on battery purchases.
- Difference #4: Design – In terms of size, both Blink XT and XT2 are quite similar to each other, especially when it comes to their dimensions.
The slight difference, however, lies in their appearance. For example, the Blink logo at the bottom of the outline of the center plastic is a lighter shade of grey on the Blink XT2 models. Also, there is an XT2 logo on the camera’s back battery cover as well.
- Difference #5: Increased Live-View on Demand – It’s also worth to note that XT2 provides twice as many seconds of use as the original XT while being used for Live View, or during motion-activated recordings. This means that you can record and share even more footage than before.
Blink XT vs. XT2 — Comparison Chart
|Blink XT||Blink XT2|
|2 Way Audio||No, Only Mic Available||Yes|
|Custom Motion Detection||No||Yes|
|Resolution||1080p HD||1080p HD|
|Viewing Angle||110 Degrees||110 Degrees|
|Power Options||2 AA 1.5V lithium batteries||2 AA 1.5V lithium batteries|
|Dimensions||2.8 x 2.8 x 1.3 inches||2.8 x 2.8 x 1.4 inches|
Blink XT vs. XT2 — Accessories
Now that we have gone over both Blink XT and Blink XT2, let’s check out some of the accessories you can include with both models.
Keep your smart cameras safe with Blink XT/XT2 Skins. As these will protect their surfaces from scratches, smears and other wear and tear. The cases are made from a soft silicone material, adding a nice touch for both indoor as well as outdoor cameras.
This Hard Case w/Mount Bracket for Blink XT 2 Camera, will allow you to safely set up your new camera wherever you wish. It’s also pretty easy to install too! All you need to do is bolt it to the wall using 3 screws, providing you with a wall mount that is both solid and has a flexible swivel of ith 360 degrees, paired with a 90-degree tilt.
Never charge a battery again!
Using this Power Adapter for both Blink XT and XT2, you won’t have to worry about buying battery replacements, nor charging them.
This provides you with continuous power, and it comes with a 20 ft long cable, allowing you to easily plug it into an electrical outlet both inside or outside your house, even if the camera is further away.
Blink XT vs. XT2 — Our Thoughts
When it comes down to Blink XT vs. XT2, it’s easy to see that Blink XT2 is the superior model of the two.
Basically, it’s an improved version of Blink XT, that even bears the same price tag, how great is that? You get advanced features such as two-way audio talk, extended battery life, custom motion zones, and live-view recording all in one camera.
In the end, that makes Blink XT2 a great investment.
Last update on 2021-01-15 at 09:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API