Z-Wave is one of the newer type of wireless technology that smart devices use to communicate with each other. It’s quite similar to WiFi and Bluetooth, but Z-Wave also possesses its own unique capabilities that many users like.
With Z-Wave, you can expect less interference, fewer disconnections, and a quicker communication speed that you would with other types of wireless communication, plus many other benefits which you can read more about here: Z-Wave vs. Z-Wave Plus — What’s the Difference?
While not all models such as Ring Video Doorbell Pro and SkyBell HD come with an in-built Z-Wave radio, you can still integrate them into the Z-Wave ecosystem by using a hub such as SmartThings or Wink, or even the FortrezZ Z-Wave MIMOlite Motor Control which can turn almost any smart device into a Z-Wave compatible gadget.
Let’s check out some of the smart doorbell cameras (with the exception of Aeotec, which doesn’t have a camera) that you can integrate into your Z-Wave ecosystem!
Feel free to use our navigation system to skip down to any part you prefer.
Navigate this article:
Aeotec Z-Wave Doorbell 6
While this option, unfortunately, doesn’t include a camera and other features that are typical to smart doorbells such as voice control and voice detection, Aeotec Z-Wave Doorbell 6 is designed to fully support Z-Wave.
It’s a simple yet effective doorbell, that can be a good addition to your home if you’re looking for a Z-Wave device that comes with 15 different chime options to alert you when visitors are calling and can be programmed to trigger Z-Wave lights and security cameras.
- Visual Alerts – You can expect up to six 1,000 lumens light alarms from Aeotec. This allows you to see the alarm in the dark, and even customize the volume that suits you.
This clever design notifies whoever is inside that the doorbell has been rung.
- App Alerts – Because this smart doorbell has a built-in Z-Wave technology, you can expect to receive instant smartphone app alerts from your Z-Wave system.
This will let know when someone is at the door, both at home and even remotely too!
- Audio Alerts – Not only can you expect to receive visual and app alerts, but audio too! You won’t miss the sound of Aeotec’s 110dB audio alerts as it’s 27% louder than the previous generation of Z-Wave doorbells.
Additionally, you can also choose from up to 15 different ringtones to carry whichever scenario you prefer with Aeotec Doorbell 6.
- Connect to Z-Wave Devices – Connect your Z-Wave lights and cameras with your doorbell! That way if for example your doorbell is pressed at night, your connected Z-Wave lights can turn on thus illuminating whoever is standing outside your home for an extra sense of security.
While SkyBell HD doesn’t exactly have a Z-Wave radio built-in, it can still work as a Z-Wave device when integrated with a hub such as Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub 2, allowing you to integrate your smart doorbell with many other Z-Wave devices such as lights, smoke alarms, and security cameras.
The Skybell HD works with your Z-wave devices in numerous ways. For example, if it senses any activity outside, the Skybell HD will lock your front door and make sure your security system is activated.
Additionally, this smart doorbell also integrates with Alexa allowing you to execute useful voice commands, while also offering other useful features such as night vision, and more to provide you with an efficient smart doorbell.
- Two-Way Audio – Listen in, or say hello to your guests with the two-way audio technology! SkyBell HD comes with a built-in microphone and speaker which allows you to communicate effectively with anyone who’s outside your home. So you can easily direct the postman on where to leave the newest package without having to answer the door.
- Live-View on Demand – See anyone both night and day with Skybell’s live-view on-demand function.
You can clearly see in HD quality when your guests arrive, or if there’s a potential lurker outside your home!
When you pair up two-way audio and live-view on demand you have a powerful tool to keep track of the comings and goings on your home, and a handy way to scare off any potential intruders too.
- Motion Sensor – With the aid of your smart doorbell’s motion sensors, you’ll be able to receive notifications straight to your iOS or Android smart device whenever there’s any movement detected outside your door, even if the doorbell hadn’t been rung.
- Record Videos & Photos – With SkyBell HD you can enjoy 7 days of free video and photo storage to look back on, download or review later on! So you can go through any activity that occurred while you weren’t home, or simply to check back on a detail you missed such as a license plate or someone’s face.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
Similarly to SkyBell HD, the hardwired Ring Video Doorbell Pro also doesn’t come with a Z-Wave chip but is compatible with Z-Wave when using a smart hub.
However, in terms of its abilities, it does exceed SkyBell with advanced features such as its advanced motion detection, and the ability to customize motion detection zones or those areas that you would like to monitor for movement, using the mobile app.
It also has impressive smart home integration capabilities by being able to work with devices such as Wemo, ADT Pulse, SmartThings, and Wink Hub.
Ring also comes with a few attractive cloud storage plans to choose from, so you can find the best one suited for your home.
- Advanced Motion Detection – Not only can you adjust the sensitivity of your motion sensors on Ring, but you also have the ability to create your own custom motion zones via Ring app!
Adjusting the sensitivity of your sensors can come in very useful if you live in a particularly busy neighborhood and have no desire to be alerted by every passing car.
While creating your own motion zones allows you to focus on the most important parts of your yard, adding an extra layer of security for your home.
- Works With Alexa – You can link your Ring account to Alexa, in order to enjoy hands-free home monitoring so you’ll always know when someone’s there.
You can say simple voice commands such as “Alexa, show me the front door” or “Alexa, switch off the motion sensors” from anywhere in your home.
This is a great tool to use when your hands are full, or even as a fun way to impress your guests.
- Field of View – Having a decent field of view for your smart doorbell is pretty vital, as it will determine how much of your property you can actually see via your smart device.
Luckily, Ring Pro has an impressive 160° horizontal, 90° vertical field of view, allowing you to see a lot more and therefore keep a track of the comings and goings of everyone.
- Two-Way Talk – Ring Pro’s two-way audio feature also includes noise cancellation which allows for a much clearer sound when listening in, or when you’re talking.
This feature will allow you to communicate with your delivery man, or salesperson without having to be even at the door! So you can even direct the postman on where to leave your newest package from your office or when out with friends.
- 1080 HD Live-Feed – See what’s happening outside your door with Ring Pro’s vibrant 1080p HD quality, that won’t let you miss a thing.
So whether you’re waiting for your package, or greeting your kids as they arrive home from school, you’ll see it all with Pro’s live-footage function, both day and night.
Ring Video Doorbell 2
Another Z-Wave compatible doorbell with a camera is the Ring Video Doorbell 2. The main way this differs from the Ring Pro is the fact that it can run on two lithium batteries, and doesn’t need to be hardwired.
Making it an ideal solution for those of you who prefer a wireless model, and tend to move around a bit.
Same as with Ring Pro, you’ll need a Z-Wave compatible hub or device in order to make it compatible with your Z-Wave home.
However, the features that Ring Video Doorbell 2 bring to the table, definitely makes it worthwhile.
- Power Source – As we already mentioned, Ring Video Doorbell 2 can both be hardwired or wireless, depending on your preference. The only downside to the battery-powered option is that the live-view on-demand feature won’t function unless hardwired. For the simple fact that it’s not receiving enough power needed to fuel this function.
- Motion Detection – It’s easy with Ring 2 to adjust the sensitivity of your motion sensors in order to find the most ideal setting for your home, as this will prevent every squirrel and passing car from setting off your motion detectors.
- Talk to Your Camera – Use Alexa and an Alexa enabled device such as Echo Show to talk to your doorbell from anywhere in your home!
This a simple and effective way to view the live footage of your front door while your hands are full, or simply inquire when was the last time the doorbell rang.
- Live-View & 2 Way Talk – Ring Video Doorbell 2 comes with a 1080p HD live-view on-demand quality that gives you a clear view of your front yard when paired with its 160° wide-angle view. Additionally, you can also take advantage of the built-in 2-way audio technology allowing you to communicate with anyone outside your door.
So whether it’s to yell at a potential intruder, or greet your guests, Ring has you covered.
Z-Wave MIMOlite Motor Control
While the last option is not exactly a smart doorbell or any smart device for that instance, the FortrezZ Z-Wave Motor Control has the power to convert any devices or appliances into a Z-Wave compatible device.
For example, when your doorbell is pressed the Z-Wave Motor Control can communicate with your other Z-Wave smart devices to carry out a certain function, like blink the lights or have your security cameras start recording.
Best Z-Wave Doorbell Camera — Our Thoughts
As you can see, there aren’t too many Z-Wave Doorbells, but there are quite a few models that can be integrated into Z-Wave with the use of a hub such as SmartThings or Wink, or even the Z-Wave MIMOlite Motor Control.
However, when it comes to the best one for you, it really depends on the type of features you’re looking for.
Aeotec Z-Wave Doorbell 6 is a good option if you want a Z-Wave device that is simple, effective and affordable.
However, if you want advanced features such as motion detection, smart home integration, two-way audio, custom motion zones and more, then Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a good way to go.
While SkyBell HD also offers a 7-day free storage which is a great addition, it still doesn’t beat Ring’s more advanced capabilities.
Last update on 2020-02-25 at 11:49 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API