Today, we’ll go over the good and the bad aspects you should know before buying Chamberlain garage door opener. Check out briefly summarized points before making a purchase. Let’s begin.
What is Chamberlain Garage Door Opener?
Chamberlain garage door opener is a Wi-Fi enabled door opener. With this smart device, you can open or close your garage door from anywhere using your smartphone with the free MyQ app and an Internet connection. Check the status of your garage door even when you’re not at home. Open or close the garage door remotely with a simple tap on the screen.
The Good About Chamberlain Garage Door Opener:
- Peace of mind: when was the last time you worried about leaving your garage door open? With Chamberlain garage door opener remote there is no need to drive back home to check. Just use the MyQ app to close your garage door. Also, open it remotely for deliveries or even to let your friend or a family member in when you’re not at home.
- Stay in touch: every time your garage opens or closes, you’ll receive alerts on your smartphone. Personalize these alerts based on the time of day, so you’ll know when family members have arrived.
- Compatible and safe: MyQ Garage is compatible with garage door openers that use safety reversing sensors. Usually the sensors are located at the bottom of the garage door track. Check the compatibility of your garage door opener using MyQ Garage compatibility guide.
- Easy set-up: install the Chamberlain door opener in minutes. Just mount the Wi-Fi Hub, attach the Door Sensor, connect the Wi-Fi Hub to your home Wi-Fi network, and set everything up using the free MyQ app.
- No extra pay: Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener, unlike other smart products, does not require any monthly or annual fees for any services.
The Bad About Chamberlain Garage Door Opener:
- App control: since MyQ Garage allows for a remote control of your garage down, it would be even better if this smart device supported IFTTT or at least, geolocation service. These features would add significant value to the Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener.
- App bugs: unfortunately, for some users, MyQ app works only 20% of the time. When you try to open the door using the app, it just gives an error message and the app hangs. Hopefuly next app update will fix it.
- False alarms: sometimes you get alarms that the door is open when it’s actually closed and vice versa. False alarms ruin the whole idea of security.
- Opens by itself: not only does MyQ Garage send you false alarms, but it also opens the door on its own without you knowing about it.
- Loss of connection: MyQ Garage door opener keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi. So, get ready to perform factory-resets multiple times.
The Bottom Line:
The Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener is a great smart device but, its software is obviously suffering. Lack of IFTTT and geolocation service makes MyQ Garage not as “smart” as it could be. The good thing is that MyQ app updates frequently. So we might enjoy new services soon.
As to constant loss of connection, it does ruin the whole point of remote garage door opener. However, if you place the gateway further from the garage motor head and closer to your Wi-Fi router, it will will increase the signal strength. Also the RF interference caused by the motor head will be minimized. So, as you see there are tricks you should know to make it work. Overall, the Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener seems like a great device if you know the tricks which make it work.
Last update on 2021-07-26 at 11:49 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API